External Employment Opportunities
Check here often for external employment opportunities.
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate to work in the Photoactive Materials Group led by Dr Rachel Evans in the Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy at the University of Cambridge. Details can be found here: https://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/29639/
Concordia is currently accepting applications for a limited term teaching position in Organic Chemistry to start at the end of June 2021. The application deadline was set at 3 May, 2020 however we will continue to receive applications until 7 May 2021. Candidates will need to be able to teach introductory organic chemistry, stereochemistry and organic spectroscopy.
Details can be found here:
Ivy Group is searching for Numinus' next Senior Director of Lab based in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, BC. Below is the job description.
Numinus, is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and accessible work environment. They welcome and celebrate differences because they believe a multitude of perspectives fosters innovation and will help them achieve their ultimate purpose of delivering the highest quality outcomes to the people they serve. Their culture is one of belonging in which each person is accepted and valued for their individuality. As such, if you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know so we can work with you to meet
Senior Director of Lab – Numinus
The Company - Numinus
Numinus Wellness Inc. (TSXV:NUMI) envisions a world where all people are empowered to discover healing and wellness. That’s why they’re creating solutions to develop and deliver
cutting-edge mental health solutions including psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies to transform the mental health landscape. Since their public listing in May 2020, they have been creating the building blocks to the foundation of their company with the goal of providing access to safe, evidence-based use of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapies. These building blocks include:
● Raising a total of $27.5M during 2020
● Acquiring MindSpace, a full service well-being organization pioneering psychedelic programming, with 3 operating clinics in Montreal
● Collaborating with MAPS Public Benefit Corporation to seek approval to deliver MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for PTSD through a single arm open label trial
● Signing an agreement with Syreon to undertake a compassionate access clinical trial of psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy for substance use disorders
● Becoming the 1st Canadian public company to legally harvest Psilocybe Mushrooms
The Opportunity - Senior Director of Lab
Numinus Bioscience is a licenced laboratory located in British Columbia. It is one of the largest research facilities in Western Canada and a global leader in psychedelic research. Its purpose is to research and develop psychedelic formulations and methods, led by a team of specialized scientists using state-of-the-art equipment. Numinus Bioscience holds a Controlled Drugs and Substances license issued by Health Canada, through which it works with a range of psychedelic substances, including DMT, ketamine, LSD, MDMA, mescaline, psilocybin, psilocin. With rapid advancement on our expansion strategy, we are now hiring a Senior Director of Lab to support and implement key business objectives and oversee lab operations. This position is a fit for a proven manager in an analytical laboratory-controlled environment who is competent in planning, organizing, controlling and evaluating the delivery of services to clients. Additionally you’re an energetic individual who has experience working in a senior capacity as well as providing leadership and developing team members.
This person will grow the high throughput laboratory operations including planning,resource management, staffing, customer satisfaction, and driving continuous improvement. This is an opportunity to be part of a growing team in a high-growth sector with a culture that celebrates collaboration and team-work. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work and will have a part in shaping the strategic direction of the organization.
Senior Director of Lab – Numinus
● Oversee and have overall responsibility for our company’s laboratories operations including responsibility for development and support of our products and services to
meet customer needs.
● Coordinate and maintain cross departmental workflows to support ongoing laboratory operations. Drive workflow and process improvements through standardization and
development of policy, processes and procedures.
● Develop, lead, and drive the laboratory operations activities enabling innovation and integration of novel technologies and techniques.
● Manage assigned Lab Operations leads and staff providing coaching and development to improve the leadership competency of lab personnel
● Expand and scale our laboratory capabilities
● Executes efficient decision-making and dissemination of information across all areas of Laboratory Operations for time-sensitive needs.
● Develops departmental strategic goals and objectives based on corporate goals and strategies; long and short-term strategic goals and objectives; analyze impact of
● Works with QA, RA, and the Laboratory Director to ensure ongoing compliance.
● Building and deploying a strategy to ensure lab resources and vendors are managed efficiently
● Supporting portfolio management process to ensure innovation pipeline for contract research
● Supporting the new ideation process and ensuring new concepts are prioritized and tied to customer requirements Developing organizational talent and succession plans
and provides ongoing coaching and mentoring for staff
● Supporting the requirements infrastructure and implementation of Laboratory Information Management Systems and Quality Management Systems
● Other tasks and projects as assigned
Experience and Skills
● Minimum Masters in Analytical Chemistry or related degree
● 5+ Years relevant experience directing or supervising a high complexity testing laboratory
● Over 5 years in supervisory position in an Analytical Lab (preferability controlled environment)
● Over 5 years Managerial experience
● Experience working with ISO, GLP and GMP standards
● Demonstrated ability to build teams and to set and achieve aggressive targets
● Lab development background, experience
● Prior experience in a fast-paced startup environment a plus
● Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
● Has knowledge and experience in validation methodologies
● Has knowledge and experience in multiple analytical techniques and methodologies
● Can troubleshoot technical issues
Senior Director of Lab – Numinus
● Experience working in a Cannabis Lab
● Experience as Head of Lab
● Advanced degree in chemistry
● Ten or more years of relevant experience (cannabis, pharma, controlled drugs and substances)
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Attention to detail and organizational skills
● Ability to manage a departmental budget
● Proficiency in the use of personal computers and software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
● Ability to adapt to changing priorities
● Walking, standing, observing others performing work assignments
● Ability to work in an office / production environment
Here’s a link to a recent article about the expansion of their state-of-the-art lab:
For more information, please contact:
St Francis Xavier University - Department of Chemistry
Limited Term Position
The Department of Chemistry at St. Francis Xavier University invites applications for a nine-month limited term appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin August 16, 2021. The position is subject to final budgetary approval.
The primary responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to teach introductory chemistry courses at the first-year level and possibly a junior/senior course in their area of specialty. Applicants will possess a PhD degree in Chemistry (postdoctoral and previous teaching experience would be an asset).
The Department is also seeking candidates who are committed to contributing to StFX’s priorities of equity, diversity, and inclusion. Demonstrated ability in attracting underrepresented groups of students to the program is an asset.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to general faculty duties as well as engage in independent and collaborative research within the Department and the University.
Applicants should provide a curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching interests and philosophy, a statement of research interests, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references. Applications are to be submitted via email to:
Dr. Manuel Aquino
Chair, Department of Chemistry
St. Francis Xavier University
P.O. Box 5000, Antigonish NS B2G 2W5
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Telephone: 902-867-5336
Additional details about Chemistry at StFX can be found on the Departmental website: http://www2.mystfx.ca/chemistry/
The review of applications will begin on March 15, 2021 and will continue until this position is filled.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. StFX respects diversity and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities and members of a sexual minority group.
Mount Allison University - Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Mount Allison University invites applications for a tenure-track appointment in the area of health-related protein biochemistry at the rank of Assistant Professor. Applicants must hold a PhD and have relevant postdoctoral or employment experience. The candidate will be expected to teach at the undergraduate level, contribute to the Interdisciplinary Health Program currently under development at Mount Allison, develop an independent, externally-funded research program, train highly qualified graduates, and contribute to service at the departmental and university levels.
We seek applicants whose research uses high-throughput cell culture and protein biochemistry techniques to address questions relevant to human health and is complementary to established research programs in the department. Candidates must demonstrate research excellence through high quality publications, awards and/or scholarships, and a strong track record of research funding. Applicants should include a research statement highlighting their most significant contributions, outlining the goals of their program, and describing their fit within the department and the broader Mount Allison research community. The successful candidate will have access to a variety of core research facilities and be expected to apply for external funding (e.g. NSERC Discovery Grant).
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Mount Allison offers CSC accredited BSc and honours degrees in chemistry and biochemistry as well as an MSc Chemistry program. We have a strong focus on experiential learning; all of our faculty are research-active and engage undergraduate students in independent, hands-on, and collaborative studies in variety of fields ranging from nanomaterials surface chemistry, to aerosol toxicity, to cardiac energetics. The candidate will be expected to teach four undergraduate biochemistry courses per year and contribute to delivering associated lab components. Potential courses include Introductory Biochemistry, Molecular Immunology, Molecular Analyses, and Signal Transduction. Evidence of effective and engaging teaching should be presented in the form of a teaching statement or teaching dossier, if available.
Applicants can learn more about the Department at www.mta.ca/chemistry. The anticipated start date for the position is July 1st, 2021, subject to budgetary approval. Applications must include a curriculum vitae, research and teaching statements, and the names and contact information for three references. Applications must be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17930 Review of applications will begin February 15, 2021.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Tyson MacCormack, Chair of the Search Committee,
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
Mount Allison University, 63C York Street, Sackville, NB, E4L 1G8
Phone: (506) 536-2371
Opportunity at the University of Winnipeg
The Department of Chemistry at The University of Winnipeg invites outstanding candidates to apply for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor with specialization in Bioanalytical Chemistry. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry or related field and have relevant postdoctoral experience. Applicants from all fields of bioanalytical chemistry, including separation science, forensic chemistry, metabolomics/proteomics, or micro/nanofluidics are encouraged to apply.
Candidates must have a strong commitment to excellence in research and teaching. The successful candidate will be expected to establish and maintain an active externally-funded research program, as well as teachundergraduate courses, including analytical chemistry. Supervision of undergraduate and graduate student research projects is expected. The successful candidate will also be expected to participate actively in departmental and university service activities.
The selection committee will begin reviewing applications on February 1, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled; full consideration is assured for applications received by January 29, 2021. Subject to budgetary approval, this position will commence July 1, 2021. Salary levels will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants are requested to submit a complete application, including (all documents in PDF):
- a cover letter
- a current curriculum vitae
- a Tri-Agency Grant style research proposal (maximum five pages)
- a teaching statement and evidence of teaching effectiveness, including teaching evaluations, if available (one to two pages)
- copies of at most three relevant publications
Applicants must submit all of the above materials throughThe University of Winnipeg’s online recruitment system.
Candidates should also arrange to have three letters of reference e-mailed directly to:
Dr. Athar Ata, Chair
Department of Chemistry
Enquiries should be directed to Dr. Athar Ata, Chair, email@example.com.
Additional information on the Department of Chemistry is available at http://chemistry.uwinnipeg.ca/home/.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
Additional information on the University of Winnipeg is available at http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/.
Posted December 2020
Opportunity in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Guelph:
University of Guelph is looking for someone with a Ph.D. in Chemistry (or similar) and experience as a small molecule crystallographer (PXRD & Single Crystal XRD), as well as a desire to lecture at the undergraduate level.