The specific requirements for admission into a graduate program at McMaster University are described in the current Calendar of the School of Graduate Studies / General Regulations / Admission Requirements (section 2.1).
Admission into the Chemistry M.Sc. program requires as a minimum of:
- An Honours Bachelor's degree or an equivalent 4-year university degree in Chemistry, with a B+ (or 9/12) average for Chemistry and other Science courses
- Excellent letters of recommendation
- A strong performance in the final year of studies, including good marks in undergraduate research projects.
Admission into the Chemistry Ph.D. program requires as a minimum of:
- An M.Sc. degree in Chemistry (or the equivalent) or
- A B.Sc. degree in Chemistry combined with an excellent academic record, and
- Excellent letters of recommendation.
Summer research experience will be considered when evaluating an application.
Some additional notes are:
- If English is not your first language, a minimum TOEFL (iBT) score of 92 (580 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 237 on the computer-based TOEFL test) or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required for admission into the Chemistry program.
- All applicants are automatically considered for financial support. Highly qualified candidates will also be considered for entrance scholarships.
- Prospective students are strongly encouraged to contact potential supervisors directly prior to submitting a formal application, but it is not required.
For further information, please contact Sara Warner, Graduate Assistant.